About Dr. Tom
Social Innovation Solutions provides new ways of thinking and acting in order to change our society for the better. We are clearly at a turning point – only creativity and innovation can buy us time as a society to make the tough choices we need to make. Clearly the true strength of the human species – and American society in particular – has been our ability to innovate (i.e., turn creative ideas into practical products and programs.)
This BLOG – Social Innovation Solutions – is the creation of Dr. Thomas Jefferson Hoban, IV. For almost 25 years he was as a Professor of Sociology and Food Science at North Carolina State University. Dr. Hoban has also been a journalist, musician and consultant for three decades. For the past ten years, he has been a leader in website design, internet marketing and distance education. He looks forward to working with organizations and communities on a range of projects related to social innovation.
Capabilities to Assist Communities and Organizations with Social Innovation:
- Developing, implementing and evaluating communication and marketing campaigns.
- Planning, initiating and maintaining positive social innovation and organizational transformation.
- Imagining, interpreting and influencing the social impacts of technology and environmental change.
- Documenting and demonstrating sustainable and socially responsible practices.
- Understanding and influencing public attitudes about social innovations.
- Researching and promoting the adoption of sustainable lifestyles and behaviors.
- Fostering and facilitating community organizing and economic development.
- Using music, art and culture to foster community creativity and social movements.
Dr. Hoban brings a unique combination of practical experience and specific skills.
- Policy analysis
- Program evaluation
- Market strategy
- Survey research
- Statistical analysis
- Grant writing
- Social networking
- Media training
- Strategic planning
- Web site development
- Public speaking
- Report writing
- Technical editing
- Graphic design
- Distance education
My formal education was innovative and interdisciplinary.
- Ecology and Conservation (BS University of Illinois)
- Water Management (MS – University of Wisconsin)
- Life Science Communication (MS – University of Wisconsin)
- Rural Sociology (PhD – Iowa State University)
If you have questions or want more information, contact Dr. Hoban at the following e-mail: